From Creators of The Evil Within, First Gameplay Revealed For Ghostwire: Tokyo

Ever since Ghostwire: Tokyo was first announced at E3 2019, I’ve been starving to know more about the enigmatic title. Nothing about that first reveal gave us any concrete answers other than that the game was spooky. From the studio that brought us The Evil Within, Tango Gameworks has delivered varies products even within their own titles. The Evil Within is very different from The Evil Within 2. If you want to get even more granular, the storytelling and gameplay of The Evil Within DLC likewise very different from the base game. So with an entirely new IP, the sky was really the limit to where the studio could go. And even with a world of infinite possibilities, I did not expect what we saw in this newest trailer for Ghostwire: Tokyo.

From what you can see above, Ghostwire: Tokyo is going to be some mixture of action, spellcasting, and what appears to be stealth. There are also several narrative segments that drive home the cyber-horror feel. The game takes place after 99% of Tokyo’s population suddenly vanishes. Taking advantage of the suddenly diminished population, evil spirits decide to move in and make a mess of the place. It’s up to you and the remaining 1% of survivors to kick spiritual ass and save the day. The gameplay looks like a mix of Skyrim and Dishonored, which… I guess makes sense? It is a Bethesda game… I know there is some debate in the horror community as to what constitutes “real” horror vs “action” horror. And those people are probably looking at this trailer as the death knell of yet another studio going down the action-horror path. I for one am just excited to learn about how I can pull the hearts out of evil yōkai in the techno-future.

Information so far is scarce, but here’s what I could scrounge up from the Official Press Release:

Wield Paranormal Abilities
Ghostwire: Tokyo features a robust combat system that allows players to employ supernatural powers to unleash devastating, otherworldly attacks and interact with the paranormal in a variety of ways – cleanse, banish, and destroy. Throughout their journey players will grow their newfound powers to suit their playstyle and take the fight to the supernatural.

Face the Unknown
Tango is known for their creepy monsters and Japan’s culture—stories of yōkai (supernatural beings from Japanese folklore), ghost stories, and urban legends—provides plenty of inspiration. In the studio’s version of Tokyo, evil spirits are wandering the city in search of victims. Players will encounter supernatural entities such as Shiromoku, a spirit of a young bride in a traditional white kimono who was unable to wed her lover and has endless regret, and Amewarashi, a paranormal entity in the form of a child wearing a raincoat that manifests due to its great sadness from being separated from his parents and his mischievous spirit.

While there is no official release date yet, Ghostwire: Tokyo will release on PC and PS5 in 2021. If you want to learn more, you can check out the game’s official webpage by clicking here.

Add Comment