Mortal Shell Is A New Horror Soulslike With A Body Snatchers Vibe
I’m a glutton for Soulslikes. They are my comfort game. I’ve spent plenty of nights exploring incredible new worlds and getting curb stomped by their inhabitants. So every time I catch wind of a new one, I immediately hop to my keyboard and find out all I can. I’ll be the first to admit, there are some bad Soulslikes out there. I’ve played all of them. I know the signs. And Mortal Shell looks like it’s going to be one of the good ones.
From new studio Cold Symmetry and publisher Playstack, Mortal Shell is an upcoming ARPG with a gruesome twist. Rather than just picking a class at the start, you’ll occupy the remains of defeated warriors. Think the Blood Codes from Code Vein. Combined with the clear horror aesthetic, Mortal Shell is gunning for the throne of Bloodborne and Dark Souls III. Here’s a list of what else to expect from the Offical Press Release:
Awakening as an empty vessel, you will enter into a shattered and twisted world where the remains of humanity wither and rot. Implored to do the bidding of the mysterious “Dark Father”, you must traverse this tattered landscape and track down hidden sanctums of devout followers. There, in Mortal Shell’s most hallowed grounds, you must overcome formidable foes and harvest the sacred glands. You won’t be truly alone when the dead litter your path: Scattered across this land are the remnant anima of lost warriors who can be inhabited to gain their unique abilities and knowledge of weapons. The Dark Father is desperate for you to complete your task — but to what end?
- Discover “Shells” to Suit Your Playstyle – The lost remains of defeated warriors are yours to unearth. Awaken these Mortal Shells, occupy their bodies and significantly widen your understanding of different forms of combat. Inhabit a Shell that best fits your style and utilizes their own unique mastery of skills and weapon upgrades.
- Iron Sharpens Iron – Combat is strategic and deliberate. Survival demands superior awareness, precision and instincts. You must commit your sword only when an opportunity opens. Calculate your parries to unleash devastating counterblows.
- Non-linear Campaign – Draw your own path across marsh-infested lowlands, through a gargantuan cathedral of obsidian rock, and into an ancient crypt frozen into the crest of a mountain.
- Deep Upgrade Paths – The stronger your connection to each Mortal Shell grows, the better you can harness their innate talents.Craft unique upgrades, sharpen your blade with acid, and study dark arcane abilities that imbue your attacks with supernatural devastation.
- Face Haunting Foes – Your path is guarded by desperate adversaries, devoted to inscrutable gods. Behold creatures both pitiable and grotesque, but do not let fear halt your journey. Muster your courage and face them down.
- Developed by AAA Veterans – Mortal Shell has been developed by a coalition of seasoned veterans with an unbridled passion for the soulslike genre.
So if you’re like me and can’t ever get enough of gitin gud, then check out Mortal Shell‘s Steam store page here. There’s no official release date other than Q3, but it will be launching for the PC, PS4, and Xbox One.