Alaloth Looking To Shake Up CRPGs With Souls-Like Combat
Okay, I really do think that not all games should be just classified as “something-likes.” But Alaloth deserves some attention, and namedropping is the most surefire way to get people to click on the article. Just being honest.
Every once in a while, a new indie RPG comes out that’s stupidly ambitious. Usually made by Germans. And while the creators of Alaloth – Champions of the Four Kingdoms are in Poland, that’s close enough to Germany that my feeble American brain gives it a pass. From indie studio Gamera Interactive, Alaloth is looking to mix the classic top-down RPG format with intense reactive ARPG combat. Not fast combat. I said intense. There are plenty of top-down ARPGs with lightning-fast action and more goblins on screen than in the Mines of Moria. Alaloth goes for a different approach by demanding you slow the fuck down and plan your attacks.
While I know that 11-minutes is long for a trailer, I’d definitely recommend that you check it all out. The video goes into the game’s seemingly absurd complexity. This isn’t just all about the combat. This is also a deep CRPG. From the Official Press Release:
The 10 minute gameplay commentary video features an in-depth look at the upcoming skill-based isometric action RPG. Explore the creation area to pick your Kingdom, race-specific skills, fighting style, house, alignment, deity, and of course name and appearance. Then, travel to the capital city of Goldport to catch up on news, pick up new quests, and purchase wares to help you on your journey. Finally, explore the map overview to set out on your first quest. Where do you go from here? Watch the video to find out!
Set in a vibrant fantasy world, Alaloth offers fast-paced action with a deep narrative, bringing ARPG dynamics to a new level with skill-based gameplay inspired by great classics and modern masterpieces.
- Master a unique, hardcore combat system.
- Customize your character by choosing different Ways of Power, classes, and skills.
- Explore, craft, gain reputation, and unlock new quests.
- Choose one of 4 playable races (Humans, Elves, Dwarves, Orcs), 40+ houses and clans to fight for, each with their own history.
- Start your own legacy in The Four Kingdoms after the first playthrough.
- 12 memorable companions with their own backstories, ready to join or fight you during your journey.
- World, lore, and character backstories created in collaboration with RPG veteran Chris Avellone.
While there’s no official release date yet for Alaloth – Champions of the Four Kingdoms, it’s planned to come to Xbox One and Steam in 2020. You can find out more and add it to your Steam wishlist by clicking here.