Lovecraftian Oceans of Sunless Sea Coming to Switch And Xbox One
For all the talk in Lovecraft about vast expanses and unfathomable depths beyond the stars, most adaptations are on dry land. Generally adjacent to a port, yes, but rarely on the open seas. What I loved about Sunless Sea is that you can spend days just exploring. Sailing from town to town, exploring the vast ocean, never sure of what lurks beneath the briny waves. Then suddenly, a giant eyeball pops out. Maximum spooky.
While PC gamers have been experiencing the 10 billion things to do in Sunless Sea since 2015 (PS4 gamers since 2018), Xbox and Switch players have been woefully left out of this wonderful terrifying world. Luckily, the good people at Digerati and Failbetter Games are about to rectify that. Coming April 23rd (24th for Xbox), the Sunless Sea: Zubmariner Edition will be available on Switch and Xbox One. If you’re not already familiar with the game, the tagline is, “LOSE YOUR MIND. EAT YOUR CREW. DIE.” Here’s some other key features from Sunless Sea:
- Find your father’s bones. Determine London’s destiny. Defy the gods of the deep sea
- Build up your story across generations of zailors who braved the sea and lost
- Real-time combat against ships and Zee-beasts, spider-crewed dreadnoughts and sentient icebergs
- Stray too far from civilization and your crew will grow fearful and eventually lose their sanity
- Upgrade your steamship with powerful engines, cannons and pneumatic torpedo guns
- Hire unique officers, each with their own story
- Discover the treasures the zee has claimed
- Choose a ship’s mascot
- Trade or smuggle silk and souls
This edition also comes packaged with the Zubmariner DLC, which gives you even deeper depths to dive. The whole package is going to run you just $20, which is quite the bargain considering the same content on the PC is $30. So if you haven’t had a chance to check it out, definitely give Sunless Sea: Zubmariner Edition a look on April 23rd/24th. If you want to learn more, you can find the game’s Steam store page by clicking here.